Monday, September 24, 2012

Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars

             So I was in the mood for baking and citrus (one of my favorite combinations!) so I went to my trusty Pinterest boards, and clicked away until I came across something I have been meaning to make for awhile that fit the bill. As it turns out, it's also an easy recipe with no more than five ingredients. The original recipe's website also lists an option to make this from scratch instead of using a Betty Crocker packet of cookie mix, but in my case I decided I just needed sweets stat and had no time for this.

           The recipe is pretty yummy, and I didn't change a thing. The only part I would suggest slightly altering isn't part of the recipe but part of the actual cooking; even after a hefty cooking spray spray-down, the bars still were difficult to take out of the pan and all of them ripped in some way. Next time I will put parchment paper down and then grease that.





Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars 
  



1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1 egg
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 teaspoons lemon zest (I used basically all from the two lemons)
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
from-scratch recipe available by clicking on the link below*



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay parchment paper in the bottom of an 8x8 pan that is long enough that the paper hangs over the side on both sides. Spray the bottom and sides of the paper with non stick spray.
In a large bowl cut the cold butter into the cookie mix with a fork or pastry blender.
Stir in the egg until the mixture is crumbly.
Press half of the dough into the bottom of the greased pan and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice until thick and combined.
Spread lemon mixture over baked crust and evenly crumble remaining dough on the top.
Bake another 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Pull entire baked product out by lifting both sides of the parchment paper. Cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.






-Sweet Sarah 




Found at Just Call Me Maria *

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment